Annual Cumbria and Lancashire Wing Service and Parade in Barrow in Furness Cumbria
The Air Training Corps was established by Royal Warrant dated 5th February 1941 and is celebrated each year by joining together locally and in The Church of The Royal Air Force, St Clement Danes, London. The ATC has become more integrated into the RAF and has been renamed Royal Air Force Air Cadets (RAFAC)
This year the Church of St James the Great, Barrow in Furness, hosted the service for Cumbria and Lancashire Wing.
Consecrated and dedicated in 1869 and described by Sir Nicholas Pevsner, the famous church historian, as the finest of all the Barrow churches, containing the architectural rarity of brick arches resting on sandstone pillars. In May 1941 the church was severely damaged during German air raids on Barrow. 15 stained glass windows were broken and the organ, which had been donated from the Chapel Royal of St James Palace, London, was damaged.
Over 300 cadets, officers, NCOs, civilian instructors and guests attended the service.
The service was led by Rev Jack Knill-Jones, Rector of St. James the Great Barrow in Furness.
The sermon and blessing were given by Rev Carl Carter, Wing Chaplain.
Guests included: The Lord Lieutenant of Cumbria Mrs Clare Hensman and Mr Peter Hensman.
The Worshipful the Mayor of Barrow Cllr Tony Callister and Mayoress Mrs Janice Callister.
Inspector Robert O’Connor – Cumbria Constabulary.
After the service a parade through the town was led by Officer Commanding Cumbria and Lancashire Wing Wing Commander Steve Molloy RAFAC
The salute was taken by The Lord Lieutenant of Cumbria outside Barrow Town Hall.
The weather was fine and the cadets were a credit to their squadrons, wing, organisation, schools and parents. Well done.
RAFA Branch Representative to 455 (Morecambe & Heysham) Air Cadet Squadron